The Blog

Can My Ex Change Custody Agreement

When you and your partner reach an agreement, the parent coordinator often writes a document that indicates what has been agreed. Sometimes it is an informal e-mail or may be a more formal document called “Billing Minutes” or “Memorandum of Understanding.” However, you may have wondered if you and your spouse can simply amend the agreement yourself instead of a court-ordered amendment. The court can only impose the terms of an initial custody agreement, not a modified agreement that you and your spouse have drawn up. They may find themselves in an increasingly difficult situation when the other parent decides one day that he or she no longer wishes to comply with the amended agreement. You have no reason to enforce your amended agreement by the court. To avoid any changes, by writing the top plan, address the expected changes. For example, parents of an infant may include a new schedule for the start of preschool for the child. If you and your former spouse are consensual and your co-education agreement has worked well, the idea of changing your custody of your child without going to court may seem invocable. However, you should be aware of the potential pitfalls of this approach, as shown below. If there is a child care contract, this agreement is legally binding and both parents must share the child in accordance with the provisions of this agreement. If you decide to change custody of the children, you cannot make a unilateral decision. This means that if both parents do not agree on a change, you will have to go to court and convince the court to change custody of the child.

At LaFevor – Slaughter, our family lawyers in Knoxville understand the difficulty of child custody agreements and the emotional impact on all parties involved. We can help you protect your child`s best interests with our dedicated and compassionate representation. For free advice on your child`s situation, call us today at 865-637-6258 or fill out our contact form. You can find information about the largest U.S. states in our detention order guides in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.